top of page

1937 - The Light House Cafe opens

The Light House Cafe, 776 Washington St., Lynn, MA

The Light House Cafe, the oldest LGBTQ+ bar in Massachusetts, applied for a liquor license in 1937 and it is not known if the Cafe was in operation before that. It was owned by Hugh and Mary Collins and closed in 1975. Their applicatin for a restaurant license for 178 Union St met with oppisition and so they settled on the Washington St location.

Pictured: Notice of application for liquor license

Location: The Light House Cafe, 776 Washington St., Lynn, MA

Source: The Daily Item, page 27

Date: 1937-12-03

Copyright © 2024 Newspapers.com. All Rights Reserved.

ULP Logo Round 2024.png

© 2023 United Lynn Pride Inc
United Lynn Pride Inc. is a 501(c)3 Tax Exempt Non-Profit Organization

EIN: 88-4123340

#UnitedLynnPride
Connect with us on Social Media

Facebook_logo_(square).png
-11590303444ezlkboanlo_edited.jpg
bottom of page